Thursday, February 05, 2009

revelations on diversity: celebrate diversity

another of those conflicting complaints in this world:
  1. we complain about people are different from us being 'unacceptable', irritating, etc. fid it hard to be friends with them. 'they are just weird'. 'i dont understand how come they can think this way'.
  2. we whine about not being able to differentiate ourselves coz our education streamlines us.

the conflict comes when we qn: do we want diversity? if i phrase my qn this way: i guess most higher education beings would say 'yes'! (another of those examples on how our education is streamlining us). but while we are all celebrating this diversity, can we really then accept this diversity? ie accept and celebrate that some of your friends will just be different from you. and I mean DIFFERENT.

the other side of the argument stems from: if we whine about people around us who are different, what do we want? that we become the same? I am looking at people who are different from me everyday and thinking: Thank God these people are different from me?! or rather that I am different from them! if not how I make an impression on people. if not how i differentiate myself from them? is there a need to differentiate? i guess no. not that I live it as like my only life goal: to be different. but i guess being different has many perks that comes as a result. once again qualifying that I do not deliberately take a different course just to get noticed. (altho i honestly sometimes do).

ok.... posting a post like this.... which category?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home